Saturday, January 17, 2009

Bube's Brewery

I decided to check out Bube's Brewery last night. The brewery is located in Mount Joy, PA.  When we walked in, they seated us in the Bottling Works. This was my first experience there, and after talking with some people who have been there, I wish they would have asked us where we wanted to sit. Apparently, the place to eat is in the Catacombs, which includes the tour of the brewery. But alas, I was unaware of this going into the restaurant. 

The Beer

I was a little shocked when I asked the waitress what beer they had, and her reply was, "We have our own beer and we have..." She began to list all of the beers they had on draft, without putting emphasis on Bube's beers. So I had to ask her again specifically what beer the brewery had on draft. After listening to the list, the first beer I had was the Vienna Lager.
This beer was excellent. It had a very smooth taste with a good caramel taste. It was similar to Yuengling Lager, but it definitely tasted of a higher quality.

The second beer that I had was the Dunkelweizen.  
This was a very flavorful beer. My taste buds were put into shock when I first sipped this beer. As my boy Adam pointed out, you could tell that this beer packed an alcoholic punch. My favorite part of this beer is its lack of filtering, as you can see from the picture above, light does not pass through this beer.

I basically stayed with these two beers, as I wasn't enticed too much by the limited selection of the other beers. I tried my boy Mike's Cream Ale.
This beer was terrible. I have never has a beer like this, but there was too much cream put into this beer. It felt like the beer was foaming in my mouth.  The taste was very similar to cream soda.

My boy Adam tried the Belgian Strong Pale Ale. 
I did not sip this beer, but Adam liked it at first, and then said the aftertaste really got to him. So much so, he did not order another Belgian, but elected to go with the Vienna Lager.  In my opinion, I think the lager is Bube's best beer that I have tried.

The Food

I ordered the Tuscan Chicken, and I thought it was excellent tasting. However, when I was done eating, I did not feel satisfied. I felt for $18, the meal could have been a little more filling. The side of mashed potatos was excellent. For the money, my Boy Mike seemed to do the best by getting a chicken wrap that only cost $9.  

Overall

I thought overall that Bube's Brewery was a nice place, but I think my expectations were too high. I would be willing to give it another chance if I got to eat in the Catacombs. However, I would rather eat at Appalachian Brewing Company, as it has a more robust portion of food and a much longer draft list. And the draft list at ABC is comprised of only ABC beers.

No comments:

Post a Comment