Sunday, February 15, 2009

Bavarian Barbarian Brewery

The final stop on our brewery tour was Bavarian Barbarian Brewery in Williamsport, PA. This place has only been open for a little over a year and I had not heard too much about it. Since it was close to Bullfrog, we decided to give it a chance.

The brewery itself is in a small warehouse, but fits the operation perfectly. It is very neat how you can see the entire operation from the bar. 

The brewery is nice enough to provide a 6-glass sampler for free to all attendees. Add one point to the scoreboard for free beer. The beers sampled are as follows:

Hammerin' Ale
The ale was a good start to the sampling, as it is very smooth. The amber color is very attractive and I like how the beer is cloudy. The quality placed into the beer is very noticable.

Weldspatter IPA
I normally do not like IPA beers, but the hop content in this IPA was not overwhelming. Most IPAs will try to overpower your tongue with the hops, but the hops in the Weldspatter compliment the rest of the ingredients nicely. I definitely recommend the beer, even for those who do not like IPAs.

Headbangers Brown Ale
This beer is built on malts and has an excellent nutty flavor. It has a deep, dark, rich color about it and was pleasant to drink. This is one of the two beers I filled my growler with, and I enjoyed it the second time at home.

First Snow Ale
I am a big fan of winter seasonals, especially ones that are this good. The First Snow Ale tastes a bit like a ginger bread cookie. In a way, it reminds me of Left Hand Snowbound Ale, which I highly enjoy. I like all of the flavors that are brought out in drinking this beer. I filled my second growler with the First Snow Ale.

Steel Drivin' Stout
The stout was in par with other oatmeal stouts. It has a nice smooth taste and a deep brown color. It wasn't overpowering with its taste, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. It is definitely worth getting a glass of the stout.

Square Feet Wheat Winter
It was interesting to hear how the brewery alters ingredients in their wheat beer depending on the season. The winter version of the wheat is excellent and was my buddy Matt's favorite beer of the day. He filled his growler with the wheat. The multitude of flavors included in this beer make your tongue work to process them all.

Overall
It should be noted that I will be returning to Bavarian Barbarian Brewery whenever I can. I will also try to catch up with the brewery at any beer festival that they are at. I highly, highly recommend trying their beers. I'm sure you will find one that you like.

No comments:

Post a Comment