Sunday, July 19, 2009

Selin's Grove Brewing Company


From Kupko's Mind. Bottled.

On Friday, three friends and I decided to return to Selin's Grove Brewing Company. You may have read my previous post from my first visit to the brewery. On this trip, I decided to try some new beers.

The first beer I ordered was the Kriek. This beer has won several awards and has been compared to a lambic, but it is not a lambic. The beer is almost a purple color with a fruity aroma. Upon tasting the Kriek, you mouth is taken over by an intense fruit flavor. There was a sweet bite in the after taste, due to the high alcohol content. The alcohol content was listed in the beer menu as "we'd be guessing?", so I will assume it is in the double digits. I am a big fan of this beer and plan to go back and try it again. The brewery is worth the trip alone for this beer.

The second beer I ordered was the Steamer Triple. The beer is a dark gold color, which is very enticing. The aroma was very faint but had a light spice accent to it. The flavor was fully rounded with spices, yet surprisingly smooth. At the end of the taste, the bite from the alcohol hits you in the throat. The brewery limits each customer to three of these, as the alcohol content is 9.0% ABV. I enjoyed the Triple thoroughly and thought it went really well with the soft pretzels that we ordered (which are excellent!).

My final beer, which was ordered in part for dessert, was the Organic Baltic Porter. As expected, the porter comes dark brown with a roasted aroma. The head on the porter was frothy, but not too thick. The taste includes chocolate and toffee flavors, making this beer an excellent meal ender. However, the warmer the beer got, the better the beer taste. As the temperature increased, the chocolate and toffee flavors became more present and changed the complexion of the beer. By the end of the glass, the sweetness of the porter was completely satisfying. The alcohol content is 7.9% ABV.

After my second review of Selin's Grove Brewing Company, I really hope you give it a try. And definitely order the food there as it might be the best brew-pub food I have ever had.

1 comment:

  1. I was recently there with Jon and Lauren last weekend.. had a few drinks and gotta love their pretzels :) Jon goes there freqently haha

    ReplyDelete