Saw this commercial and thought it was pretty funny. "We believe we should RIDE out these HARD times together." Excellent.
Wednesday, March 25, 2009
Sunday, March 22, 2009
Thoughts after watching the match between DC United and the gaLAxy at the Home Depot Center in Carson, CA:
- LA's defense looks very much improved. Omar Gonzalez appears to have a bright MLS future. Bruce Arena's impact is noticable after one off-season. While LA did allow two goals, the PK is forgivable. Chris Pontius' goal was a beautiful sight, but was created by a lethargic defensive let down. I don't expect that to happen often.
- Landon stands out on the field. He is clearly LA's field marshall and he controls the play. You can tell he has played top flight in off season, as he sets up teammates and dribbles around the opposition with ease. He appears to be one step ahead of the game at all times.
- It was very noticable that the game was not sold out. The MLS website indicates that there were over 18,000 fans there in a stadium that seats 27,000. Clearly, this is a combination of the frustration over last season's results and the Beckham saga in the off-season. Beckham could have turned away more LA fans than he created league wide.
- It was sad that the traveling Barra Brava were louder than any of the LA support groups. They could be clearly heard the entire game, and I could not pick up on any LA chants.
- LA got lucky with the phantom handball call that gave them their first goal. However, Landon's second goal was a thing of beauty.
Tom Morello, formerly of Rage Against the Machine and Audioslave, has teamed up with Boots Riley from The Coup to form Street Sweeper. Embedded above is "The Oath," which definitely has my heart rate going faster. I found out about Street Sweet from the newly announced Nine Inch Nails/Jane's Addiction tour (cleverly named NIN|JA). Go to the NIN|JA website to download the tour sampler, which includes "The Oath" and an even better song in my opinion titled "Clap for the Killers." I cannot wait to hear more from this band. An album is supposed to be released sometime in 2009. Also note that the sampler has two new Nine Inch Nails songs on it, plus two previously released Jane's Addiction songs.