Thursday, September 23, 2010

Shipyard Pumpkinhead

I picked up a case of Shipyard Pumpkinhead for a cookout at my buddy Jeff's place in New Jersey. The beer pours a yellow color with a bubbly white head. The aroma consists of a good helping of pumpkin and some nutmeg, cinnamon, and gingersnap. The taste is mostly pumpkin, with some gingersnap, cinnamon, and nutmeg rounding out the flavor. The spices are not overwhelming in this beer, nor do they dry out the mouth. The alcohol content is 4.5% ABV. I do like this beer, and I know it gets a bad rap, but it isn't very overwhelming with spices which can be a nice alternative. It does rank up there with my favorites even though Beer Advocate does not agree with that. While it does not top my favorite pumpkin beer Southern Tier Pumpking, I do like to go to this beer to introduce people to pumpkin beers. It went over very well at the cookout, and the guests seemed intrigued about pumpkin beers and may try others due to this beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment