Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Trader Joe's Bavarian Style Hefeweizen

I swiped a bottle of Trader Joe's Bavarian Style Hefeweizen from my sister's fridge when I was dog sitting (Let's see how well she reads the blog). The beer pours an orange-golden color with a lofty foamy white head. The aroma consists of orange peel, coriander, banana, pepper, and yeast. The taste is smooth and full of flavors including orange, coriander, pepper, banana, and a good helping of Belgian yeast. The finish on the beer is a little watered down and it leaves a faint mandarin orange after taste. The alcohol content is 5.3 % ABV. Overall, not a bad Hefeweizen. I must say I was a little reluctant about this beer since it came from Trader Joe's, and I haven't had anything from a retail store before. The flavors were nicely balanced in this beer and there were plenty of them to keep the tongue happy throughout the experience.

1 comment:

  1. If you can ever make it to a Trader Joe's that sells beer/wine (alas, none of the Maryland stores do), it is well worth the trip. While everything in their stores has the TJ label, the quality is far above store brands in your typical grocery. I've only had a chance to sample a few brews from TJ's, and every one was a winner in my book. I particularly remember a chocolate stout that was amazing. The one drawback to TJ's is that, like Costco, sometimes your favorite item suddenly disappears, never to be seen again.

    ReplyDelete