Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Troegs Scratch 35- Fresh Hop Ale

I stopped in to Troegs to pick up a case of Scratch 35- Fresh Hop Ale. The main flavor in Scratch 35 is 100 pounds of fresh Citra hops. The beer was brewed only a day after the hops were picked, and they were not dried. The beer pours a golden color with a foamy white head that really sticks to the glass as it dissipates. The aroma consists of lots of citrus, namely grapefruit and orange. The taste is smooth and full with a good caramel base before big hit of grapefruit comes forward. What strikes me as different with this beer is that the grapefruit has a kick and is a little more bitey, where most are somewhat mellow. The alcohol content is 7.2% ABV. Anyone that knows me knows that I love citra hop, and the addition of fresh hops to this beer was completely enjoyable. I liked how much bite came with it, but the number one thing that makes this beer amazing is its freshness.

No comments:

Post a Comment