Saturday, January 22, 2011

Mill Street Barley Wine 2010

I picked up a bottle of Mill Street Barley Wine 2010, Batch Number 10-16-20, while I was in Niagara Falls and looking for craft beer. The beer pours a dark amber color with a think filmy off-white head. The aroma consists of sweet malts with fig, raisins, and hints of orange. The taste is smooth yet strong and biting on the tongue. There is a large amount of sweetness in this beer, akin to maple syrup, with lots of malts, fig, and raisins. The finish has a little carbonation bite to it and puckers the back of the tongue. The alcohol content is 10.0% ABV. While I did enjoy the Mill Street Barley Wine, I would put it in the somewhat too sweet category. There wasn't a lot of hop balance to the beer and I think that is due to the Canadian love of maple syrup. Still, this is a beer worth trying if you are in Canada.

No comments:

Post a Comment