Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Ommegang Abbey Ale

I was given a bottle of Ommegang Abbey Ale, and I jumped at the change to review it. The beer pours a reddish/dark amber color with a lofty and frothy off-white colored head. The aroma consists of Belgian yeast, raisin, fig, bread, and sweet malts. The taste is bold and very present in the mouth with a biting alcohol presence. The flavor transitions into a smooth malty flavors with yeast, orange, tangerine, fig, and raisin flavors all mixed in. On the finish, a breadiness takes over the mouth, drying it out a little bit. The alcohol content is 8.5% ABV. The maltiness in this beer is perfect with a great fruit accent. While there is not much bitterness in the beer, it is not needed, as the beer is balanced by the alcohol content.

1 comment:

  1. I love that beer. I would make it my regular beer if I could afford to drink it everyday. (Not saying that it is super expensive, but my budget is not very high)

    ReplyDelete