Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Dogfish Head-Epic Portamarillo

When I was at Stateline Liquors, I noticed some bottles of the Dogfish Head-Epic collaboration Portamarillo, made famous by the show Brewmasters. The beer pours an amber color with a frothy tan head with some nice lacing on the glass. The aroma consists of tomato, hickory, smoke, and toasted malts. The taste is malty and chocolaty at first with some tomato funk to it. I’m sure your familiar with that flavor, as it is exactly like eating a raw tomato. The beer has a nice grilled finish but is very light on the tongue. Hints of toasted malts are in there as well with some salt and earthy and dirt-like hops. The alcohol content is 7.0% ABV. I really liked the tomato accent to this beer, and it balanced it very well without making it like tomato juice, which is not a positive flavor for me. This beer really makes you think about being outside by the grill, and it also goes very well with pizza.

No comments:

Post a Comment