Sunday, August 7, 2011

Selin's Grove Sour Red

While at Selin’s Grove, I ordered a glass of the Sour Red, a new beer and first attempt for the brewpub at a sour. The beer pours a red tinted brown color with a thin filmy off-white colored head. The aroma consists of vinegar, cherry, and yeast, typical for a Flemish red. The taste is slightly dry with hint of sour vinegar before lots of cherry flavor explodes in the mouth. There is a warming finish before the biggest part of the flavor profile comes out, the dry oak flavor. I would liken the oak finish to a red wine dryness, but it is wonderful. The alcohol content is not available online, but I would estimate it to be about 5.0% ABV. As a first attempt at a sour beer, this was a complete win for Selin’s Grove. I would liken its flavor to the F*Red from Iron Hill, which I also add it a major compliment. If you see this beer on tap at the brewpub, make sure to order a glass before it is gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment