Saturday, September 3, 2011

Southern Tier Cuvee Series 1

For dinner in Buffalo, some friends and I decided to go to the Blue Monk, as it came highly recommended. On the beer menu, I noticed that they had the Southern Tier Cuvee Series One, and the waitress told me that they received the keg by mistake and aged it for a couple of years before serving it. What great luck! The beer pours a cloudy orange-gold color with a frothy white head. The aroma consists of yeast, orange zest, lemon, and coconut. The taste is sweet and smooth with almonds and coconut immediately hitting the tongue. Orange, lemon, and yeast bring out a citrusy and biscuity flavors with some banana as well. The finish is dry with light pepper and hints of grassy and earthy hops, and the after taste leaves oak on the tongue. The alcohol content is 11.0% ABV. I felt lucky to try this beer after three years, but I was glad that I did. It was a rather complex brew, but the almonds and was a flavor that I am not used to being in a beer, but I really enjoyed it, especially with the coconut.

No comments:

Post a Comment