Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Southern Tier Oak Aged Pumking

A beer I have been looking for was Southern Tier Oak Aged Pumking, and I have to thank Fat Head’s in Pittsburgh for arranging to tap it when I was in town. The beer pours an orange-amber color with a thin filmy white head. The aroma, as with the non-aged version, consists of pumpkin, nutmeg, cinnamon, allspice, pie, and has some hints of oak. The taste is also right down the alley of Pumking, but the oak dulls some of sweetness. It is still easy to pick up the pumpkin pie sweetness, but some of the nutmeg, allspice, and cinnamon flavor pull a little more forward. Finally, the oak dries out the finish, eliminating the sweet film that is left on the side of the mouth. The alcohol content is 8.6% ABV. The Oak Aged Pumking is mellower version of a great beer, in my opinion. For those that know me and/or read this blog know that I love Pumking, but I liked this version even better, as the oak gives it a more mature flavor and mouth feel.

2 comments:

  1. Was it worth the price difference? Usually the Oak Aged beers are significantly more expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To be honest, I don't recall the price, but I don't think it was too much. Either way, I'd say it was worth it.

    ReplyDelete