Sunday, April 8, 2012

Lincoln Abbey All Minced Up

I opened a bottle of my second homebrew called All Minced Up. It started with a Raison d’etre base, and I added in molasses to attempt to make it like mince pie. The beer pours a dark brown color with a very lofty and frothy beige colored head. The aroma consists of lots of raisin, caramel, brown sugar, and molasses. The taste is biting with lots of raisin flavor right up front. There is also a light grape sweetness to it with caramel, molasses, and sugar. A bit of the yeast comes out on the finish with a bit of breadiness to it, and a spicy bit of pepper is left behind on the palate. The alcohol content is 8.0% ABV. I would say I achieved the flavor profile I was going for, although it was overly pie-like. The molasses and raisin did provide the filling of the pie flavors, but if I were to do this again, I would attempt to add a crust flavor as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment