Thursday, January 17, 2013

Troegs Scratch 83- ¿Impending Descent?

While at the Troegs tasting room, I picked up a case of Scratch 83- ¿Impending Descent?, the imperial stout released just in time for the end of the world. The beer pours a black color with a lofty and frothy tan colored head. The aroma consists of chocolate, coffee, vanilla, and sugar. The taste is bold and robust with lots of chocolate, toasted malts, caramel, vanilla, and almost a honey sweetness. Some touches of sugar hit before some alcohol booziness hits on the finish. The alcohol content is 10.9% ABV. I am absolutely in love with this imperial stout and I hope that Troegs makes this into a regular release. However, it was noticably hoppier from the bottle than it was on draft, and I liked the draft version better. I also feel it would benefit greatly from some different barrel aging experiments, such as rum, whiskey, and red wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment